Lawyer Kasambara Charged, Locked Up
Police in Blantyre have officially charged Private lawyer Ralph Kasambara with abetting assault and have since locked him up.
Police publicist Sgt. Beatrice Bwanali told Zodiak Online, police found Mr. Kasambara at fault for sending people to assault a group of young men suspected to have been sent to attack the human rights lawyer.
In an interview from detention, Mr. Kasambara claimed the whole issue in political.
“It happened this afternoon when thugs came to my office but we managed to overpower them and later took them to police,” he told Zodiak Online.
He denies the charge saying he only defended himself.
Blantyre Police publicist Sgt. Bwanali says information with police is that Mr. Kasambara commanded people to attack a group of people he suspected were thugs planted to attack him at his office.
Mr. Kasambara had earlier alleged that the suspected thugs mentioned ruling Democratic Progress Party (DPP) officials as being behind the plot.
“The thugs have mentioned people from DPP as well as State House. We have even recorded them,” he said.
But DPP and State House Spokesperson Dr. Hetherwick Ntaba has distanced the ruling party from the matter.
"Since it's in police hands, let's leave it to police," he urged.
Lawyer Kasambara has been vocal against President Bingu wa Mutharika’s maladministration since he was fired from the position of Attorney General in May 2006.
He recently told the media that Parliament has enough reasons to impeach President Mutharika for failing to resolve the salary stalemate that has paralyzed the judicial system.
Junior judicial staff have been on strike for over a month now demanding implementation of a pay rise approved by the Malawi Parliament in 2006.—Zodiak Online
|< Prev||Next >|
Other Political News
- Lucius Banda Back in Politics, Joins People's Party
- Botswana Bashes AU over Al-Bashir
- DPP Tears Apart Mozambique Power Deal
- Govt Borrows US$12 from Saudi Fund
- President Must Hire or Fire Their Vice – Justice Minister
- Political Will on National Registration Impresses NRB
- Malawi Nodes to Gay Marriages
- Another Confession: Lipenga Says Bingu Rushed on Shire Waterway
- JB Institutes Committee to Probe Lipenga
- I Will Quit Politics in 2014 – Goodall Gondwe