Ministry of Education Under Fire Over Promotion
Concerned teachers in Nsanje who claim they upgraded to diploma level in humanities at Domasi College of Education in 2015 say they are yet to be promoted.
They claim are on the same grade, receiving salaries as a primary school teacher, described the development as painful.
"I am receiving little salary as a primary school teacher yet I upgraded. I expected to earn a better living, "lamented one of the teachers.
He added; “Last few months we were assured that the interviews for promotions would be conducted but we don't see anything tangible on the issue. We do not know what government is doing about it."
An education activist Limbani Nsapato has urged government to move in quickly to review the problem and promote the teachers accordingly.
"Of course, we know by policy promotion has to be done through merit. It means the teachers who upgraded themselves must undergo interviews and impress those responsible for promotions to consider their situation,” he said.
Ministry of Education Spokesperson, Chikondi Chimala, asked for more time to consult before commenting on the matter.
Apparently, over 2, 000 teachers are in this cohort.
Latest from Alfred Guta
- Norway Pledges Support towards Disaster Risk Management
- Minister Concedes Chikwawa Communities are Suffering
- Nsanje DC Vows to Protect Cyclone Freddy Humanitarian Support
- Action Aid Injects K60 Million into Cyclone Freddy Cash Transfer Program
- Nsanje’s Kuchene Women Forum Vows to Fight GBV in Flood Survivors Camps