Thyolo Businessman Jailed 21-Years for Defilement
A businessman Jameson Letasoni, aged 38, will spend the next 21 years in prison in Thyolo for defiling an 11-year-old girl at Luciano Village, Traditional Authority Tomasi.
Tendering facts in court, State prosecutor Felix Senzani, said the convict defiled the minor on the evening of July 6, 2022 when she was sent to buy some drugs for her mother at his shop.
Senzani said the convict forced himself on her by grabbing her hand into the shop.
However, the convict pleaded not guilty to the defilement charge prompting the state to parade four witnesses who testified against him.
In mitigation, the convict pleaded for leniency as he is a bread winner for his family, something prosecutor Senzani spoken against, "I pray for custodial sentence since the defilement cases are rampant in the area".
Meanwhile, after considering all the factors, Senior Resident Magistrate Asunta Maxwell, has sentenced him to 21 years imprisonment with hard labour to deter other would be offenders.
Latest from Beston Luka
- NRWB Donates K5 million Items to Cyclone Survivors in Thyolo
- Roads Authority Commences Temporary Road Restoration in the South
- MUST Wins the Cyber Security Most Creative Policy Response Award in US
- Govt Uncertain on School Re-opening in the South
- TAML Engages Headteachers to Address Pupils Security Concerns