Malawi Monitoring Emerging Xenophobic Attacks in RSA
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says is on the high alert monitoring reports of xenophobic attacks that have resurfaced in South Africa from last week.
Spokesperson for the Ministry John Kabaghe, while indicating that the government is always ready to repatriate the affected citizens everywhere, says as of this Monday, they have not documented any attack involving Malawians in the rainbow nation.
"At the moment we don't have any figures of people who have been affected by the attacks. We always make plans when we get a situation which becomes live, to reach out and if there is a need to repatriate people or help Malawians who are in distress anywhere in the world," he said.
He has however advised Malawians to always stay away from places where there are upheavals, follow proper migration path, such as acquire valid documentation, registering with the embassy and stop the continued use of unchartered routes to South Africa or elsewhere.
Meanwhile, an international relations expert Chimwemwe Tsitsi, is of the view that the Malawian embassies should adopt the morden way of alerting its citizens of any looming danger to keep them safe.
"In this case, the Malawian embassy in South Africa must be alert and providing periodic information its citizens on the need for them to be careful and avoid certain places. This will also help them to alert authorities if there is danger for them to be guided on how to escape.
"It is the responsibility of the embassy there to check whatever is happening on the ground to alert Malawians. We have seen other countries whenever there is security threat, they notify their citizens. I assume they have online platforms for Malawian communities to be notifying them on such xenophobic attacks," Tsitsi said.